Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sunday Sum-Up: Oh, Grace!

I survived a very stressful past few days.  I think I do this to myself every Christmas season.  I get some kind of awesome idea, but it's too grandiose to actually carry out, and then I get myself all worked up and stressed out and start missing out on the joy and peace of the season.

I'm convicted about my behavior this week--the stress I've allowed myself to get into, but overshadowing all of that is this overwhelming sense of grace.  The Lord has provided for me in so many ways this week.  He's sent little reminders of what this time of year is all about.  He's allowed me to remain calm (most of the time) in the midst of some difficult situations.  He's given me help in the form of my amazing roommate who saved my sanity in more ways than one this week.  And though I haven't really had time to sit down and pray as I've needed to, He's provided me with His presence, calming me, calling me to accept the grace He's giving me.

I tried to do too much.  I became a Martha, wanting to work hard to get everything done.  God reminded me that I need to be a Mary, one who sits and His feet, accepting the grace He gives. 

In a way, I'm kind of glad I got this past week out of my system.  I still have a LOT to do, but there's more room to breathe now.  I've gotten through the most difficult parts.  So now, while I still have some things to do before Christmas (one week away!!!), I'm in a better frame of mind to rest, to enjoy and remember what this season has to offer.

The Christmas season comes with busyness and stress, and in a way, I kind of enjoy it (in moderation).  But it's nice to just sit and listen to Christmas songs and look at all the lights, and remember that there's no work we can do that can earn us the grace that God's already freely giving to us.  I'm learning that Christmas really is more about receiving than giving, because there's nothing that any of us really have to give.  The most important thing about Christmas is the gift of God with us--Emmanuel.  In the midst of everything that's going on, accepting His grace is the most important thing we can do at Christmas, at any time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment