Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Worship

Sometimes, worship happens in a building with a steeple.  I put on make up and a dress and sing with the choir before going to sit in a padded chair and listen to a sermon.  Then I go to my adult Bible study class, which is full of prayer and Bible-centered discussion.  And it is good.

Sometimes, worship happens when I'm sitting in my room.  I'm either loudly strumming on my guitar or quietly writing in a notebook.  I come to meet a holy God in faded blue jeans and a tattered t-shirt.  And He comes near and inspires my songs, my words.  And it is good.

Sometimes, worship happens when I'm wearing sweats and a hoodie, driving to the store.  A song comes on the radio that captures my soul's attention, and I can't help but sing out in praise.  And it is good.

Sometimes worship happens when I'm in a work shirt, playing with one of my preschoolers.  I suddenly look into her eyes and realize that only God could make a little person like that, with such a sweet little face and a distinct personality.  And I say, "Do you know who made you?  God made you!"  And it is good.

Sometimes worship happens when I'm in shorts and a sweaty dry-fit t-shirt, running along the pavement.  I'm tired, but He is my strength.  I'm too out of breath to sing along with the praise songs on my mp3 player, but my heart is rejoicing.  I don't know if church can happen with just one person, but I'm not alone.  The birds are singing; the butterflies are dancing; the trees are clapping their hands.  There's a worship service going on out here, all right.  All creation is praising the Lord.

And this is His sanctuary


It is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment