Friday, October 21, 2011

Fill-in-the-Blank Friday...wait...this is Friday, right?

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays." -- Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

I almost forgot I was supposed to blog today; that's because I almost forgot today is Friday.  Again.

Yesterday was Thursday, but I went practically the whole day thinking it was Friday.  I somehow managed to remember that I was supposed to go to my "Thursday morning job" instead of my "Friday morning job," but I'm not sure what happened after that.

I blame part of it on the fact that I don't have a normal routine.  Most of the time, I like my crazy schedule.  I think of the poor saps who sit in the same little cubicle prisons 40 hours a week, and a little piece of my heart dies (either that or I have indigestion).  But part of me really likes the idea of routine, of knowing where I'm supposed to be without having to think, "Okay, what day is it?  Thursday?  Am I sure?  No.  I'd better check my cell phone/calendar/calculator/back-up brain." 

And yesterday I spent 2-3 hours sitting in the auto shop getting my brakes fixed, which is not something I typically do on a Thursday.  I had to shell out most of my rent money to pay for them, and now I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to pay my rent next month, but that's a problem to deal with on another Thursday...

And last night, the Cardinals lost to the Rangers in Game two of the World Series, which just put me all out of sorts.  Thursdays are not days I tend to think of as good days to watch the Cards lose a game in the World Series, not that any day would be a good day for the Cards to lose a game in the World Series, but I just don't think of Thursdays as days to watch televised sports at all.  But then, the only time I watch televised sports (unless you count the Olympics, and for some reason I never do seem to count them--they always seem more like a world-wide talent show than a sporting event) is when the Cards are playing in the World Series.  So what do I know about televised sports? 

And right now I'm sitting at work (don't judge me; there aren't any kids here yet), and I'm actually at my Saturday place of work even though it's Friday morning.  And I'm supposed to be here right now (always exceptions to my normal schedule), but it's giving me this weird feeling that today is Saturday instead of Friday. 

So when I show up at church tomorrow and find the parking lot empty, I'm probably going to think that the Rapture has occurred and I've been left behind. 

The impardonable sin is not being able to remember my schedule? 

Who knew?

1 comment:

  1. Too funny. Though, have you ever had the occasion to forget what year it is? Or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete